Do your holiday portraits leave you with headaches and nightmares?
Are you worried that your experience might leave you in tears?
Take a deep BREATH….and realize that you are not alone. Many people worry about
how their portrait session will turn out and of those many nearly all of them get exactly what they wanted!
When we think of portraits we always have thoughts of a smooth process that includes perfect outfits, even tempered kids, hair that participates, and great weather. A dreamy portrait day. What happens more often than not is an ok outfit that we settled on, restless children, frizzy hair, or worse…RAIN.
As your photographer, it’s my job to make sure your portraits are beautiful and the best way I can do that is to reduce your stress about and during our appointment. So here’s a few tips!
- Try to Schedule an appointment that doesn’t conflict with nap or meal times. As a general rule of thumb I suggest feeding and napping should be done about 30 minutes before your appointment
- Bring snack for little ones. Fruit snacks are easiest, but anything that can be dished out a little at a time, wont stain teeth or clothes, and makes them happy.
- Does your little one have a favorite toy they could be photographed with? BRING IT. We may have to take a few photos with their favorite ducky, but I promise it’ll be easier to get 1 or 2 without it.
- Dress comfortably. We all want to look perfect, but believe me when I say, it’s not worth it if you or your family is miserable in their outfit because it ALWAYS shows up in the face.
- Account for soothing times if you have a baby. Trust me, when you tell me you have a toddler, infant, or newborn, I plan for time cushions.
- BREATHE. Again, it’s my job to make this a pain-free event so don’t worry, I’ll do everything I can to make it just that, but if things are going south too quickly (trust me I can tell) we’ll do what we can to reschedule you and try again.
Enjoy the process, because hey, we’re making memories turn into art!